tirsdag 20. mars 2012

A-town

Arusha, A-town or Arachuga are all names of the city where we live. On saturday I decided to have a walk in town with no other purpose than taking pictures and meeting new people. First thing I did when I got off the daladala was to drink tea with a guy who asked me for money. As we got out from the cafe I was offered coffe from someone else. It's funny how you always find someone to talk with if you have time to stop by and say hello to people. However, I think some people are more curious about mzungu (white person) than other strangers, so I didn't need to walk alone for long time. The people you meet in the streets in Arusha are very different from the people you meet in Norway. In Arusha they greet you. People seek eye contact here, while in Norway people look away. Here people don't find it strange if you talk to them about anything. It's more strange if you look at someone and you keep quiet. Do we have something to learn from Tanzanians?

I went to a football ground where I thought there would be CHRISC activities, but the field was empty. There was a family who lived nearby the field. They invited me home for lunch. I was surprised and happy. How come they invite a foreign stranger to their home to eat lunch? I had not done anything else than talking a little bit to one of the boys. Just imagine, what norwegian family would have invited a foreign stranger for lunch? I was amazed.

More pictures from Arusha in Web album

I've never been drinking tea with someone I don't know before. Nikolas told me about what he is doing in Arusha. 
This famliy invited me home for lunch.
Salimu offers coffe for people who have time to stop by. 
Neema wouldn't let me take her picture before I tried to carry the bananas myself. 

1 kommentar: