lørdag 19. november 2011

A football team needs a ball

In Arusha there are many football teams of the ages under 14 and under 12. CHRISC organizes a football league in Arusha for these age groups. Both CHRISC teams and other teams can participate. Last time I was at Kaloleni zone and watched them playing. The volunteers who were responsible for the matches were one hour late, so I got time to have a talk with one of the teams. Luckily there were some who spoke a little english. I didn't get very far by speaking my faulty swahili. However, they dared to try to speak english when they found out that my swahili was a lot worse. It didn't take long before they asked me for economical support to buy a new football for the team. The old one was almost worn out. And how can a football team train without a ball?
I wanted really much to give them a ball, but I've been told that it's a too simple and short-lasting solution to give away money. It creates dependence. Instead I tried to ask them what they could do to fundraise in order to buy a new ball. There weren't many suggestions. "We don't have money". I thought about what teams in Norway do to collect money. I suggested to find a job for the whole team. "There is no work." I suggested to ask the parents for a little support, so that they could save money for a ball. "We have no money." After we played a funny game and than the league matches started. On the field, the kids seemed happy and they played hard to win the games. Luckily, fun has no cost.
Later that day I couldn't stop thinking about that team, lacking a football. In Norway, many teams have one ball per player. Too many teams in Tanzania don't have footballs at all. I felt both powerless and frustrated. Why don't people want to share. One football costs so little, and can cause so much joy. Why can't their parents or community afford such a little thing as a football? I can't write more questions, because this post is allready too long. Look at some pictures. And see the CHRISCblog post about youth league.

Pray before play

Me and Idrissa, field manager at the league



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar