søndag 4. desember 2011

Kenya trip

Last week I had decided to go to Kenya for five days. I took the bus to Nairobi and visited the four Hald-students there: Ola, Åsmund, Elisabeth and Ragnhild. We visited Mathare slum, MYSA (Mathare youth sports assosiation) and some farmers on the countryside outside of Nairobi. Then I went to Voi in southern Kenya to visit my friend Felix.

In Mathare I met people who openly told me about their lives; HIV-infected persons, young single mothers, people who lack school fees for their children. It was somehow a hard meeting with reality. People asked me for money because I am a white person. And I feel somehow ashamed of my own consume because these people can't afford to send their children to school. However, it is amazing how quick you forget about it some days later. We are not affected by the unfair reality if we don't face it.

In Voi it had been raining hard the week before I arrived. In fact it was the most severe rain in six years. The water had left its normal creeks and destroyed roads, houses and schools on its way to the river. It is terrifying to see how quick the water can destroy so much, and I think it wouldn't cost very much to build water pipes to avoid these problems. Anyways, Voi is a beautiful place. Felix took me to one of the hills in Voi where we could see big parts of Tsavo East national park and Voi town. In the evenings he taught me to make ugali, and I taught him to make waffles. We picked mango from the garden and enjoyed fresh waffles with mango jam. Yummy!  

See more pictures in SLIDE SHOW.

I and Ola are standing on the roof of the church where Ola works. Mathare slum in the background.

Some of the children at MYSA library knew some Norwegian words. We were impressed!

Need a ride? Enjoying a free ride with Åsmund and Elisabeth. 
Voi village
A primary school in Voi is damaged by the water.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Så kult at du og Ola kan besøke hverandre :) Kor lang tid tok det å reise dit? Og, la merke til en ting som eg synes var ustyrtelig morsomt, har Ola på seg en Alta mannskor-skjorte?

    Stor klem til deg!

    SvarSlett
  2. Wow, a lot of powerful observations and experiences you made on your visit to Nairobi and Voi.Nice you got the opportunity to meet Felix in Voi. Sorry to hear about the rain destruction of school and roads:-(

    Oisann. Du har fått mange sterke opplevingar på turen din til Kenya. Har vandra gjennom Matare sjøl og møtt nokon av ungdommane som er med i MYSA, eit veldig flott slumarbeid. så flott at du fekk anledning til å besøke Felix i Voi. Håper det var bra med han. Har nylig fått epost frå han, og han vart veldig glad for besøket!! Mams

    SvarSlett
  3. Hei Åsmund. Visste ikkje at Åsmund Skomedal var "Act now'er. Han er son til våre studievenner fra Trondheimstida,Nere og Anki, no boande i Søgne. Stig, fetteren din, bodde i kollektiv i Volda ilag med broren hans, Knut, i fjor. Er han ein av dei som er i oppdrag i Mathare?

    SvarSlett